Mike Dano of Light Reading caught up with Christian Kurasek, Pollen Mobile CFO, at Mobile World Congress 2022 in Las Vegas. The two caught up on:
- Pollen's origin story. (00:50)
- How the company will monetize its network. (03:00)
- How Pollen is encouraging users to build its network. (04:30)
- Will Pollen launch an MVNO (08:00)
- Pollen's plan to bring paid data over its network this year. (09:10)
As Dano notes, Pollen Mobile is among a growing number of companies in the nascent but potentially explosive "decentralized wireless" marketplace.
According to Christian Kurasek, it's a market that's rapidly maturing. "There's a huge opportunity to offer something different," he said.
Specifically, he said such DeWi operations can allow everyday users to buy and deploy their own wireless networks – thereby patching coverage holes at their home or office, for example. "Now you have the opportunity to fix that yourself," Kurasek said.